When moving and selling, remember to dress your home for success:
- Keep grass and shrubs trimmed, make sure lawn is mowed and weed flower beds.
- If you have pets, clean up animal hairs regularly and secure pets when the house is being shown.
- Make any needed repairs to fences. A neat, well-painted fence gives a good first impression.
- Your front door should be refinished or painted if it shows excessive wear, polish any brass fixtures.
- Check exterior paintwork is in good condition.
- Keep your house clean and tidy at all times in case a viewing is arranged at short notice.
- Avoid using strong smelling foods and off-putting strong cleaning solutions. Some smells, eg. Baked bread, coffee brewing etc. have a positive effect.
- Touch up paintwork if needed with any left-over paint you have.
- Keep colours neutral - light colours make rooms appear fresh as well as larger.
- Keep carpets and curtains clean.
- Before a showing, open the blinds and curtains and turn on the lights, even during the day. You want the house as light as possible.
- Fresh flowers create a favoured reaction.
- Consider putting excess furniture into a garden shed or garage.
- On cold days, arrange for the central heating to come on before the viewing or in hot weather, open windows for fresh air.